I want to reiterate a recent statistic that just came out:
One in four marriages divorce because of a spouse's "obsessive interest in pornographic Web sites."
One in four. This is why I care so much.
Make the Decision to Stop
Remove All Adult Material From Your Computer
Reevaluate the Time You Spend on the Computer
Get a Hobby
Let Your Computer Help You
- TIPS FOR PROBLEM MANAGEMENT:
- If you fall into the trap again, don't give up. Give it another try. Don’t stop trying.
- Pornography addiction can be made worse by feelings of shame, loneliness, and hopelessness. If you seek out help and guidance and talk to your pastor, family members, and friends, you will probably find some emotional support that will help you. See if there are any support groups you can join.
- After falling into the temptation again, go back and review what specific things might have triggered you. Eliminate all the things that caused the problem and you will have a more manageable task in stopping it altogether.
- TIPS FOR ALTERNATIVE ACTIVITIES:
- Try taking a cold shower or drinking cold water.
- Plan specific activities that you will go do (go to the gym, read, paint, etc) the next time you feel like watching pornography.
- Outdoor activities and sunshine will alleviate porn cravings. Take up good hobbies and sports like gardening, golf, running, swimming, walking, basketball, bicycling, chores, etc.
- Religious people can reflect on their belief system for help and talk to others who share their beliefs, including church leaders.
- During the day go over the list of reasons why you want to avoid porn and the list of things you will do to avoid a relapse.
- Try to mentally categorize your life activities into three types: 1 - Green (safe activities that won’t lead you into temptation); 2 - Yellow (dangerous behaviors that could lead to porn, such as home alone channel-surfing); 3 - Red (activities that lead directly to porn use).
- When you feel yourself moving into a "Yellow" zone, it is time to react: stop and find something safe to do instead.
- How badly do you want to be free from porn? Becoming porn-free may entail sacrifice. Ask yourself: Do I really need the Internet at home? Do I really need cable TV? Or even any TV? That may seem fanatical, but if you don't have TV or Internet, your access to porn will be severely curtailed.
- TIPS FOR COMPUTER USE:
- Don't spend time alone with the computer.
- Install a filter/history program on your computer that someone you trust can use to hold you accountable.
- Stick with reputable websites.
- Try and use SafeSearch while searching.
- If something looks questionable, don't let curiosity get the best of you. Delete it or close the window.
- Be wary of sites that exist in countries with more lenient laws about Internet pornography. The last two or more characters of a domain name designate its country of origin (ie: www.somesite .de is a German domain name).
- Be careful about going to any video sites like youtube; many videos there have at least soft porn. Stay away. if you must see a video, watch that one and then leave. Don't browse around.
- Do not register for pornographic sites. Even if you delete a previous account, the site moderator will still have you on file.
- Watch out for porn-oriented spam in your email. Filter and block it. Change your email address if it won’t stop.
- Use filtered search engines or reputable directories to find the information you need.
- Do not guess website addresses. Many pornographic sites have similar addresses of non-pornographic sites. Use a search engine instead.
- Do not follow links in email that is unsolicited. If it is a link you want to visit, copy and paste it into a browser instead of clicking on it. Often spam and phishing email (Identify-and-Resist-Phishing-Bait) will hide script behind their links.
- Do not open attachments in unsolicited emails. To secure against pop-ups and other bad scripts, use a free web-based email service to complete online registrations.
- Do not search for ambiguous terms such as "girls," "pump," "bagel," or "pony." Think carefully before typing a key word search.
- Avoid illegal websites offering Keygens, Cracks or illegal software. These websites usually have explicit pornographic banners that might tempt you.
- Don't think that the number of days you have abstained is the most important thing. You can abstain for a year or more and still have a relapse. Although you should be encouraged if you've abstained for a long time, you're better off asking yourself: "How far away am I from porn right now?" In other words, beware of complacency.
- Although getting help from a spouse is important, you need to think carefully about how and when to break this news. If your spouse doesn't know about your interest in pornography, it may be devastating news.
- Too often, pornography advertisements exist on less-than-reputable sites that host topics related to software piracy, hacking, cracking, and online gambling.
- If you have developed a serious porn addiction, you should consider undertaking the principles used in Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or other 12-step recovery programs that have helped many people overcome self-destructive compulsions.
What a porn-recovery program based on the 12 AA steps would entail:
- We admit that we were powerless over porn — that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to porn addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.